Tuesday, October 7, 2014

More on web 2.0, based on cutting-edge technology

Technology changes so fast in this time, and one of the main foci of the communication research focuses is the effect of technology developments towards individual communication patterns, like political or civic engagements or real participation. Honestly, what I believe about academic trend is ‘technology deterministic’ perspective. Even though I lamented the fact that I was moved easily by technology, not human, I cannot explain anything without the involvement of technology.
The involvement technology in our life means that technology itself forms the fundamental platform of life. As a researcher, I should realize that academic interests and academic papers should be concrete; it should not be vague or ambiguous. When I firstly dipped my feet into academic field, I was asked a lot about my research interest. I replied that “my research interest is new media.’ How I was naïve! As time went by, I asked myself “so what about new media?”, “why should I study this?” Luckily, my research interests became concrete and I became little bit clear (even though I need more improvement), about my research interests: “the effect of communication technology on political communication patterns, especially how new opinion leaders stimulate their neighbors to be engaged in political polarization.’

My research interests just followed what Gauntlett mentioned about new media studies at the early 2000. Of course, things have been changed significantly and research agenda suggested by Gauntlett became old fashioned and little bit abstract. What we have to do for the future of communication research is that we should find more on this basic agenda, of course based on the cutting-edge technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment