Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Week 3 reflections



After reading the Tennant article, I began to think how we (defined as people with access to the internet and a decent amount of digital literacy) value tangible goods versus things in digital space. Much of the time I am online is spent trying to beat the system: stream brand new songs on someone's YouTube page, finding the cheapest price while shopping on Amazon.com, or while a college student how to download games/music/music for free on torrent sites.

This is no different than how I find and read articles I want online. If I get hit with a paywall, I'll do a Google News search and find the article I wanted to read.

These behaviors however, don't translate offline. I could never just take a newspaper off a newsstand, because I feel like I'm conditioned to think of that as stealing whereas what I am doing online is a completely different thing. I pay for the papers/magazines/gadgets offline because of course money is the barrier to that content.


No comments:

Post a Comment